Vanilla sweet cream cold foam is a popular topping added to cold drinks at Starbucks. Preparing this delectable cold foam recipe takes three ingredients and one minute; it is that easy!
This copycat recipe shows how to prepare vanilla sweet cream cold foam at home. You will only need two ingredients to prepare this delicious cream foam and use it as a topping for iced coffee and cold brew. It is a slightly sweet and OH-SO-DELICIOUS foam that is yummy but tastes even better when added to your iced beverages.
The Starbucks cold foam recipe combines heavy whipping cream, vanilla syrup, and milk. The critical step to make is to shake the mix for the foam. This recipe makes a creamy foam that is light and refreshing. As a result, it is the perfect addition to any drink, and you can quickly whip up another batch.
What is Sweet Cream Cold Foam?
At Starbucks, you can top any icy drink with sweet cream cold foam, but it has an additional cost. Generally, cold foam is made using milk, syrup, and cream. Sweet cream cold foam is Starbucks takes sweet cream, froth it up, and put it on top of drinks to make them even better!
Why I Love This Recipe
- Save Money: Why pay for Starbucks when you can make it at home for less?
- Upgrade: Adds delightfully rich flavor to any iced beverage, upgrading the flavor.
- Visual Appeal: It will give your tea or iced coffee a dramatic ombré effect
- Easy: This recipe is super easy to make, mainly when you use an electric frother
Frothing Equipment Options
To prepare sweet cream cold foam recipes, Starbucks uses a unique blender. However, to make copycat vanilla sweet cream cold foam at home, there are various options to give the foam an airy, frothy, and light consistency. Different equipment can deliver different consistency.
A handheld frother is budget-friendly and easy to use. A drawback: the foam won’t stay 'foamy" for a long time. Place the frother inside the glass/jar and turn it on for 30 seconds till the volume doubles.
Add the ingredients to a blender cup and select “high” for about 30 seconds to create a cream foam. I recommend using a small blender for the best results.
This method requires you to double the sweet cream quantity because you will need more liquid for it to work correctly. Add the syrup and half and half to the French press. Move the plunger up and down quickly till the mix doubles in volume.
If you are short of this equipment but still want to learn how to make cold foam, then a mason jar is your answer. Even though it is the least effective method, it still creates cream foam. Add the vanilla syrup and half and half to a mason jar, and shake it vigorously after putting on the lid. Since the foam will melt quickly, it is best to serve immediately.
Check out my Other Starbucks Copycat Recipes
Wondering how to make sweet cream cold foam at home and what ingredients are required? This easy-to-make copycat recipe only requires three ingredients.
- Milk- For this copycat recipe, you can use regular or plant-based milk; however, the go-to choice is 2% milk. Since the heavy cream is rich, 2% milk will thin it out. Other alternatives include skim or whole milk.
- Heavy Cream is the main ingredient to nail Starbucks cold foam recipe. You can use half and half or heavy whipping cream. It will froth up nicely to create a perfect velvety texture.
- Vanilla Syrup - If you plan to prepare homemade vanilla syrup, you will need some extra ingredients. This vanilla syrup can be easily made by mixing an equal amount of sugar and water. Add vanilla extract to the mix, and you will have homemade vanilla syrup. You can also use any bottled brand of vanilla syrup, such as Torani, Starbucks, Monin, etc.
How to Make Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam
Once you learn how to make this at home, I bet you will want to add it to all your iced coffee drinks!
So how to make sweet cream cold foam:
Step 1: Select vanilla syrup - There are a couple of options for vanilla syrup: you can purchase any vanilla coffee syrup or make it at home.
Step 2: Prepare sweet cream - You will need to combine milk, heavy cream, and vanilla syrup. Froth the sweet cream for 15-30 seconds (depending on your method), and you will have a thick, cold foam ready to top your beverages.
Step 3: Top your favorite iced coffee drink!
While this sweet cream cold foam recipe is delightful, you can try plenty more flavors and customizations.
- Vegan – This cold foam recipe can be converted to a vegan version using plant-based milk and canned coconut cream. Make sure the cream is not sweetened. Coconut cream offers a creamy texture while ensuring that the cold foam is vegan.
- Skim or Almond milk – Low-fat milk froths easily, which is why the original recipe uses 2% milk. Likewise, skim, almond, coconut, oat, and whole milk are good alternatives for the Starbucks cold foam recipe.
- Vanilla – Vanilla extract in place of vanilla syrup is an easy swap.
If you aren’t a fan of vanilla, there is no reason to avoid cold foam. Try one of these flavors instead (psst - all you need to do is use a different flavor syrup.)
- Pumpkin: This is a great seasonal cream cold foam. You can use it to top fall-inspired drinks. Add one tablespoon of pumpkin puree, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, and ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice instead of vanilla syrup.
- Chocolate: Who doesn’t love chocolate? It adds a rich, sweet flavor to your icy coffee drinks. Follow the recipe above and add one tablespoon of cocoa powder.
- Salted Caramel: YUM, try this mouth-watering cream foam. Add one tablespoon of caramel and one pinch of sea salt instead of vanilla syrup.
- Peppermint: To give the cold foam a Christmas feel, you can use peppermint syrup. Add one teaspoon of peppermint extract.
Cold Foam Recipe Flavor Combinations
This vanilla sweet cream cold foam recipe can pair with mixed drinks. The key is to find the right balance of sweetness to ensure that your beverage is not overwhelming.
- Iced chai latte + pumpkin cold foam
- Iced brown sugar latte + vanilla foam
- Shaken iced espresso + vanilla cold foam
- Perfect topping for any icy beverage
It is recommended to enjoy cold foam fresh. But you can still store it in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days in the fridge. It will not spoil, but you will not get a similar texture or volume that a fresh batch will have. While the vanilla flavor will be present, the cold foam won’t be thick.
Frequently Asked Questions
Not really; however, they do have similarities. Sweet cream is a mix of simple cream, milk, and vanilla before the frothing process. It can be added to your coffee drinks as is. Even though it is tastier, this mix will not sit atop your beverage. To turn it into a sweet cream foam, you will need to whip it up till it’s pillowy and delicious.
For the cold foam recipe, Starbucks uses non-fat milk (skim). The less fat in the milk ensures that larger bubbles are created. A splash of regular milk or another type of milk (almond milk, oat, etc. can also be added, creating a firmer foam.
Unlike hot steamed milk foam, the sweet cream cold foam recipe won’t “melt” quickly. It will stay perky on top of a cold coffee cup for longer. Hard foam will make your beverage aesthetically pleasing and give it extra points for a layer of texture. Moreover, it will provide you with a lovely mouthfeel.
Yes, it is possible to make this sweet cream cold foam recipe using a creamer; however, the best flavor and texture come from using heavy cream. Coffee creamers like oat milk will work, but the air bubbles might be smaller and fall flat faster.
When ordering from Starbucks, a regular cold foam will be made by frothing 2% milk till it reaches a foam-like consistency. The vanilla sweet cream cold foam recipe is slightly different because it uses cream, milk, and vanilla syrup, and the latter is a step further and delivers a flavored, sweetened cream foam.
Starbucks Cold Foam Copycat Recipe
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla syrup
- Froth: Combine heavy cream, milk, and vanilla syrup. Froth using your preferred frother until you have created a thick foam.¼ cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons 2% milk, 1 tablespoon vanilla syrup
- Top: Top your favorite iced coffee beverage with cold foam.