The Mediterranean rose lemonade recipe is a simple lemon drink with a touch of rose syrup, adding a slightly floral flavor. The sweetness of the rose helps balance out the tartness of the lemonade. This drink is perfect for hot summer days, Easter, bridal, and baby showers. Make this drink at home in under two minutes using premade ingredients, or make it from scratch in under 10 minutes.
If you are a fan of rose scents, you will love rose lemonade! This favored Middle Eastern drink blends the flavors of tart, sweet, and floral by mixing rose petals, simple syrup, and lemonade. My recommendation is to go light on the rose flavor. If you use too much, the drink will taste perfumy, and no one likes to drink perfume!
What is Rose Lemonade?
Rose lemonade combines fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, rose, and sometimes edible rose petals. It can be enjoyed individually or made into the perfect pitcher drink to share with friends. It is usually served in a glass with ice and a slice of lemon, and club soda can be mixed in for an added bit of fizz.
With its depth of flavor and delicate aroma, rose lemonade is a perfect homemade lemonade, along with other variations such as lavender, blueberry, and floral lemonade.
History of Rose Lemonade
Rose lemonade is a refreshing drink with a long history. Its roots can be traced back to ancient Persia, where rose water was a popular ingredient in food and drinks. Over time, this drink spread to other parts of the Middle East, India, and Europe.
Today, rose lemonade is a popular drink in many parts of the world, and there are many different ways to make it. Some prefer to make their rose syrup from fresh rose petals, while others use store-bought rose syrup. Some people also add other ingredients, such as sparkling water, to add carbonation.
- Rose Syrup: Rose syrup is a sweet, floral syrup made from rose petals and sugar. It is a popular ingredient in many Middle Eastern and Indian desserts and drinks, including rose lemonade. Rose syrup can be made at home by steeping rose petals in sugar water or purchased pre-made at most grocery stores.
- Lemonade: Lemonade is a refreshing citrus drink made from lemon juice, sugar, and water. It can be made at home or purchased pre-made. When making rose lemonade, it is important to use lemonade that is not too sweet so that the flavor of the rose syrup is not overpowered.
- Garnishes (optional): Garnishes are unnecessary, but they can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to the drink. Here is a description of each of the optional garnishes:
- Edible rose petals: Edible rose petals are a beautiful garnish. I purchase the petals in the picture online.
- Lemon slices: Lemon slices are a classic garnish for lemonade. They add a touch of tartness and freshness to the drink.
- Mint leaves: Mint leaves add a refreshing and herbal flavor.
- Rosemary sprigs: Rosemary sprigs add a slightly piney flavor. They can also be used to make a rosemary simple syrup, which can be used in place of store-bought rose syrup.
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Add 8 ounces of lemonade and 1-2 tablespoons of rose syrup.
- Stir to combine.
- Garnish with lemon slices, rose petals, mint leaves, or rosemary sprigs, as desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use rose petals from your yard, but make sure the roses are edible and free of pesticides and chemicals. Always wash the rose petals thoroughly before using them.
No, pink lemonade and rose lemonade are not the same. Pink lemonade is typically made by adding red food coloring or fruit juice to regular lemonade. Rose lemonade, on the other hand, is made by adding rose petals or rose syrup to lemonade.
Yes, you can make this drink into an adult beverage. Add a shot of your favorite vodka or gin to each glass. You can use a rose-flavored vodka or gin instead of rose syrup.
Homemade Rose Lemonade
- 1 Small saucepan
- 1 Wooden spoon
- 1 lemon juice extractor Optional – Only needed for homemade lemonade
Drink – Overall Measurements
- 8 ounces lemonade
- 1-2 tablespoons rose simple syrup
Homemade Lemonade (Optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 – 4 cups cold water
Homemade Lemonade Instructions (optional)
- Combine 1 cup water and 1 cup granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves completely, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let cool slightly.
- While the syrup is cooling, juice 6-8 lemons, or enough to get 1 cup of juice.
- Combine the simple syrup, lemon juice, and 3 cups of cold water in a pitcher.
- Stir to combine and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight for the best flavor.
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Add 1 cup of lemonade and 1-2 tablespoons of rose syrup. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with lemon slices, rose petals, or other desired garnishes.