Welcome to Sinkful Kitchen, a cooking and baking blog dedicated to delicious recipes.
My name is Ruth Grindeland, and I have loved cooking as far back as I can recall. Growing up, I often cooked for my family, usually my teenage favorite, spaghetti pie.
At the start of COVID, I discovered the Great British Baking Show (GBBO). I binge-watched all 9 seasons in two months. I became obsessed and decided to bake all the show challenges. I also wanted to share my kitchen creations, which is how my Sinful Kitchen blog started.
On the personal side...
I live in Denver, Colorado, with my husband Kurt and our sweet beagles, Ella and Dolly. I have three step-children and two grandkids. Cooking for my family is one of my favorite things to do. Lucky for me, they are always very kind when things are unplanned. (That happens often.)
During the day, I work for a school district. I feel blessed to have my job and call my co-workers dear friends.
I enjoy musical theater, red dirt country, and trashy TV. I am a rare Colorado native who loves all things Colorado.
What You Will Find On My Blog
- Delicious vegan recipes.
- Sweet vegan baking recipes that everyone will love.
- A resource library of substitutions.
- Vegan cooking recipes made from whole foods and whole ingredients.
- A wide range of recipes with flavors from all over the world. I am particularly partial to Lebanese, Middle Eastern, and Mediterranean flavors.
- Quality-tested recipes that are designed for everyone of all diet types to enjoy.
- Friendly and accepting of all people and diets.
- When possible, vegan recipes include different diets, such as this Easy Greek Cucumber Salad. While I made my version with vegan feta, I wrote it so that it could be made vegan or non-vegan.
- Charity of the Month, most of which will center around animal rights and protection. If you want me to highlight a charity, email me and let me know.
- The occasional personal story.
What You Will Not Find On My Blog
- Food made with animal products, except for my earlier recipes which were made while I was a vegetarian.
- While you might see the occasional recipe using texture soy meat replacements, those will be rare.
2023 Charitable Donations
My goal in 2023 is to start giving back with some of the profits from Sinful Kitchen. At this point in my blogging, it's not much. However, I do believe every bit counts. The majority of donations will be to animal causes.
June Charity of the Month
Matthew Shepard Foundation
Donation Amount - $50
Matthew Wayne Shepard (December 1, 1976 – October 12, 1998) was a gay American student at the University of Wyoming who was beaten, tortured, and left to die near Laramie on the night of October 6, 1998. Rescuers took him to Poudre Valley Hospital in Fort Collins, Colorado, where he died six days later from severe head injuries received during the attack. (Wikipedia)
Shepard's murder brought national and international attention to hate crime legislation at both the state and federal levels. In October 2009, the United States Congress passed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act (commonly the "Matthew Shepard Act" or "Shepard/Byrd Act" for short). On October 28, 2009, President Barack Obama signed the legislation into law. (Wikipedia)
Matthew's parents have dedicated their lives to anti-hate crime legislation and education. This charity is close to my heart. I live 2 hours from where Matthew lost his life, and I remember the horror I felt when I heard about his story. Like so many people, I prayed for Mathew to pull through, but his injuries were too brutal to survive. Also, like so many people, I cried and never forgot him.
This month's donation remembers and supports the Matthew Shepard Foundation in continuing to fight against anti-hate crimes. In memory of Matthew and all who have experienced them, please consider supporting this foundation in honor of Pride.
|January 2023||Beagle Basecamp||$50|
|February 2023||Colorado Beagle Rescue||$50|
|March 2023||Bike MS||$50|
|April 2023||ALS Association||$50|
|May 2023||Wild Animal Sanctuary||$50|
|June 2023||Matthew Shepard Foundation||$50|
Last but not Least
I have a thing for adopting rescued beagles; while most have passed, you might occasionally see one or two of them in the background of my pictures.