Baked oats may seem indulgent with their cake-like texture, but they are actually a healthy breakfast option. These oats are perfect for a quick and easy breakfast. They can also be prepared ahead of time for meal prepping.
Blended baked oats are the best thing since sliced bread. Seriously! Because the oats are blended into flour, the oats rise and create a cake-like texture in five minutes.
The flavor combinations are as versatile as traditional oatmeal. My favorite flavor combination is the "Sundae ice cream" baked oats: chocolate syrup, nuts, and sprinkles. It's not the healthiest version, but it is the best, IMHO.
Now, if you prefer the texture of oatmeal but still want less fuss, I recommend trying this apple cinnamon overnight oats recipe.
Why You Will Love Vegan Baked Oatmeal
- This recipe is perfect for meal prep.
- Blended oats are smooth and taste like you are eating cake.
- Healthy, easy, and delicious breakfast (Try paring with carrot juice in the morning)
- You can load up on protein by pairing baked oats with a caramel protein shake!
Ingredients for Vegan Baked Oats
- Rolled oats, sometimes referred to as old-fashioned rolled oats or oat flour - ½ cup.
- Ripe Banana - ½ mashed
- Plant-based milk - ¼ cup - Any dairy-free unsweetened milk will work; Oat milk, soy milk, or almond milk is preferred. To add a hint of tropical flavor, use coconut milk.
- Maple syrup - 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder - ½ teaspoon
How to Make Vegan Baked Oats
Step One: Prep -
Grease an 8 oz heat-safe ramekin with non-stick cooking spray or neutral oil.
Step Two: Blend -
Place all the base ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the blended oat mixture into the greased ramekin. Top with your favorite toppings. For flavor ideas and recipes, see the flavor table below.
Step Three: -
Choose your preferred cooking method and follow the correlating directions.
|Microwave||Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until the oats are fully cooked. Add your desired toppings, such as fresh fruit, nuts, or seeds.|
|Oven||Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C. Place the oats in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and set in the center. Add your desired toppings and serve.|
Note: baking time can vary depending on your oven.
|Air Fryer||Preheat your air fryer to 350°F/175°C and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is set. Add your desired toppings and serve.|
After cooking, allow the oatmeal to cool before eating. I meal prep this recipe and eat it cold from the fridge all week.
Vegan Baked Oats Flavors
The recipe above tastes like mild banana bread and is delicious. As oatmeal lovers know, one of the best things about oats is they are very versatile and can be customized with your favorite flavors and toppings.
While most people generally love healthy toppings, I have a sweet tooth and have been known to make flavors that taste more like cake for breakfast than traditional oat breakfast.
Have fun with the flavors and create your own version of vegan baked oats. When you want to switch it up, get creative. Here are some suggestions for flavors. But the possibilities are endless!
|Apple||* 2 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce|
* handful of diced apples
|Substitute applesauce for the banana blend normally. Pour the oat mixture into a ramekin and top with diced apples.|
|Apple Cinnamon||* 2 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce|
* 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
|Substitute applesauce for the banana. Add applesauce and ground cinnamon to the ingredients and blend normally.|
|Apple Strawberry||* 2 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce|
* handful of diced strawberries
|Substitute applesauce for the banana and blend as normal. Pour the oat mixture into a ramekin and top with diced strawberries.|
|Banana Nut||* 1 full ripe mashed banana|
* 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
|Instead of ½ a banana, add one full banana and blend as normal. Pour the oat mixture into the ramekin and top with chopped nuts.|
|Biscoff||* 1 tablespoon of Biscoff cookie butter||Add the Biscoff to the ingredients and blend normally.|
|Blueberry||* handful of fresh blueberries||Pour the oat mixture into the ramekin and top with a handful of blueberries|
|Brown Sugar and Maple||* 2 tablespoon brown sugar |
* 2 tablespoon maple syrup
|Add the brown sugar and maple syrup to the ingredients and blend normally. Pour into a greased ramekin and bake. Top with a drizzle of maple syrup.|
|Carrot Cake||* 2 tablespoons shredded carrots|
* 1 tablespoon of raisins
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
|Add the cinnamon and nutmeg to the ingredients and blend as normal. Pour the oat mixture of ramekins and top with shredded carrots and raisins.|
|Chocolate||* 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder|
* Drizzle chocolate syrup and/or chips on top
|Add the cocoa powder to the ingredients and blend normally. Top with a drizzle of chocolate syrup and/or chocolate chips.|
|Fresh Berry||* handful of fresh mixed berries of your choice||Pour the oat mixture into the ramekin and top with a handful of berries|
|Lemon Blueberry||* Handful of blueberries|
* 1 tablespoon lemon zest
|Add the lemon zest to the ingredients and blend as normal. Pour into the ramakin and top with blueberries.|
|Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, or other Nut Butter||* 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter||Add peanut, almond, or other nut butter to the ingredients and blend.|
|Peanut Butter and Jelly||* 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter|
* 1 tablespoon jelly or jam
|Add peanut butter to the ingredients and blend. Pour the oat mixture into a ramekin, top with your favorite jelly, and bake.|
|Peanut Butter Chocolate-Chocolate Chip||* 1 tablespoon cocoa powder|
* 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
* 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips
|Add cocoa powder and peanut butter to the ingredients and blend. Pour the oat mixture into a ramekin. Sprinkle a handful of vegan chocolate chips on top and bake.|
|Sundae||* 2 tablespoon cocoa powder|
* 2 tablespoons of vegan chocolate chips
* 1 tablespoon of sprinkles
* 1 tablespoon of chopped nuts
|Add cocoa powder to the ingredients and blend. Pour the oat mixture into a ramekin. Top with a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and sprinkle chocolate chips, sprinkles, and peanuts. |
* Chocolate lovers will appreciate more chocolate flavor by adding extra chocolate chips.
Tips to Make the Best Blended Oats
- Baking Powder - This key ingredient results in the oats rising into a cake-like texture. For best results, always use fresh baking powder.
- Grease the Ramakin - Remember to grease the ramakin; the oats can be removed cleanly, and it is easier to clean.
- High-Speed Blender - A high-speed blender will help you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Use the Right Oats - I like oat flour; it is ground and makes the mixing easier. If you blend the oats yourself, always use rolled or old-fashioned oats. Steel-cut oats do not have the same texture or cake-like result.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, blended baked oats can be made and stored in the refrigerator for up to five days. You can also make large batches for meal prep, fast breakfasts, and busy mornings.
Yes, they are very good for you. However, depending on what ingredients you mix for flavor, they can quickly be not so good for you.
Some recipes say you can use steel-cut oats. However, in my trials of this recipe, I would not recommend steel-cut oats. This recipe is a cake-like texture; you cannot achieve the same texture with steals cut oats.
Countertop storage instructions: Place in an airtight container or cover tightly with plastic wrap and store on the counter for up to 2 days at room temperature.
Refrigerator storage instructions: Place in an airtight container or cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Allow the oats to cool fully—place in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
In the Mood for Something Else?
- Tanghulu Candied Fruit Skewers
- Sunday Morning Cookie
- Fresh Carrot Ginger Juice + Benefits
- The Ultimate Antioxidant Detox Salad
Vegan Baked Oats
- 1 high speed blender
- 1 ramakin
- ½ cup rolled oats, old-fashioned oats, or oat flour
- ½ banana mashed
- ¼ cup plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Step One: Prep - Grease an 8 oz heat-safe ramekin with non-stick spray or oil. If cooking in the oven, preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Step Two: Blend - Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the blended oats into the greased ramekin. Top with your favorite toppings
- Step Three: Follow the correlating instructions for your desired cooking method.*Microwave Instructions - Heat on high for 2 minutes (note the time might need to be adjusted depending on your microwave.)*Air fryer Instructions - place in the air fryer for 15-20 minutes at 180C/350F*Oven Instructions- Place in an oven heated to 350°F/175°C and bake for 20-25 minutes.