This updated, delicious, creamy mushroom soup is a lighter version of the old-school soup. The cozy mushroom flavor takes center stage while the cream plays the best supporting actor. You can make this easy recipe smooth or chunky. I also included an optional quick garlic crouton recipe because croutons make this soup so much better!
Creamy mushroom soup is lighter than the traditional cream of mushroom soup — and so much better! I bet you can guess I love this soup. Two secrets make this soup so good. First, the mushrooms are cooked for a long time undisturbed, bringing out their flavor. This simple technique makes a definite difference. Second, a light amount of cream is used; this allows the mushroom flavor to shine through. It is as if the mushrooms are the star and the cream is the supporting actor.
If you want to pair this soup with another dish, I recommend the kale crunch salad or winter roasted veggie bowl. I also have a couple of bread recipes that go well with this soup. I recommend my easy yeast bread if you are new to bread making.
What Types of Mushrooms can I use?
The base of this recipe is made using baby bella and white button mushrooms. Baby bellas are juvenile portobello mushrooms. These mushrooms are also known as cremini mushrooms. Baby bella is the shortened name for Portobello.
In addition to the base, you might want to sprinkle in additional mushrooms. The additional mushrooms will add complexity and earthy flavors. The earthy flavor can be pretty intense; as a general rule, a little goes a long way.
When it comes to garnishing, there are lots of great options. Here are a few suggestions. Personally, I love chunky soup, and I load up on garnishes.
- Green onions
- Garlic croutons
- Parmesan cheese
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, absolutely; substitute canned full-fat coconut milk in place of cream.
I would use button mushrooms when making the base of this soup. You can also sprinkle in various mushrooms for a more complex flavor profile.
Much like golden mushroom soup, creamy mushroom soup is lighter in flavor and texture than traditional cream of mushroom soup. However, there are a lot of additional flavors in the golden mushroom soup that my recipe does not have.
Refrigerator – Transfer the soup into an air-tight container. Soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Freezer – I do not recommend freezing this soup.
In the Mood for Something Else? Try One of These Recipes:
Creamy Mushroom Soup with Baby Bellas
- Stick blender
- Soup or other heavy pot
- Baking sheet (optional)
- ¼ cup (54g) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 oz (340g) baby bella mushrooms, broken into small pieces
- 8 oz (227g) white button mushrooms, broken into small pieces
- 4 cloves (12g) garlic, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons (4g) thyme
- ¼ cup (31g) flour
- ⅓ cup (79) cooking sherry or dry white wine
- 3 cups (705g) vegetable broth
- ½ cup (119g) heavy cream
Garlic Croutons (optional)
- 2 cups (473g) bread
- 2 tablespoons (28g) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (18g) garlic salt
- Onions: In a soup pot or a dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sprinkle with salt. Stirring often, cook the onions until they begin to brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and thyme, continue to cook, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the onions from the pot and set aside, leaving the oil in the pot.1/4 cup (54g) olive oil, 1 medium onion, diced, 4 cloves (12g) garlic, minced, 1 pinch salt, 2 teaspoons (4g) thyme
- Mushrooms: Add mushrooms to the pot the onions were cooked in. Arrange the mushrooms in a single layer at the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle with salt and cook undisturbed for about 5 minutes. Stir 1 – 2 times more and continue to cook until golden brown all over, about 5–7 minutes longer. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms and toss to coat evenly. Cook for another 2- 3 minutes undisturbed. Add the sherry and cook for an additional 3 – 5 minutes undisturbed. The mushrooms should be very brown and possibly caramelized.8 oz (340g) baby bella mushrooms, broken into small pieces, 1 pinch salt, 1/4 cup (31g) flour, 1/3 cup (79) cooking sherry or dry white wine, 8 oz (227g) white button mushrooms, broken into small pieces
- Stock: Add the stock and onions to the mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and use the stick blender to blend soup until desired creaminess. Add the 2/3rds of the cream to the soup and stir.3 cups (705g) vegetable broth, 1/2 cup (119g) heavy cream
- Serve: Pour into bowls, top with remaining cream and desired garnishes.
Garlic Croutons (optional)
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the bread into cubes.2 cups (473g) bread, 2 tablespoons (28g) olive oil, 1 tablespoon (18g) garlic salt
- Make and Bake: Toss the bread cubes in olive oil and garlic salt. Arrange on a baking sheet. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, until the croutons are at the desired toastiness.
- For a creamier soup, add up to an additional 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- For a lighter soup, you can substitute half and half for heavy cream.
- Storage – Refrigerator – Transfer the soup into an air-tight container. Soup can be store this way in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Storage – Freezer – I do not recommend freezing this soup.