Focaccia topping ideas that range from savory to sweet and everything in between. I have a list of mouthwatering combinations. From classic combinations like garlic and rosemary to innovative twists like apple slices drizzled in caramel, there’s something for everyone on this list.
What is Focaccia?
Focaccia (pronounced fuh-kaa-chuh) is a delicious and versatile Italian flatbread that is similar in texture to Sicilian pizza dough. It can be topped with various ingredients, making it perfect for any occasion.
Focaccia is hearty, economical, and easy to make. The toppings are what define its flavor and purpose. Whether you want a savory snack for breakfast, lunch, or dinner or a sweet treat for dessert, there is a focaccia topping out there for you.
The best part is that there are no rules for topping focaccia. You can get creative and experiment with different flavor combinations to find what you like best. However, a good rule of thumb is to add 2-3 toppings. More than that and the flavor is lost.
Vegetarian Focaccia Topping Ideas
- Classic Margherita: Top your focaccia with sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, and regular mozzarella cheese. For the most flavorful tomatoes, use vine-ripened tomatoes when they are in season. To make your basil even more fragrant, tear the leaves by hand instead of chopping them with a knife.
- Cream Cheese, Spinach, and Artichoke: Combine cream cheese, spinach, artichoke hearts, and seasonings to create a creamy and flavorful topping for your focaccia.
- Greek-Inspired: Layer Kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, red onions, and regular feta cheese over your focaccia. Drizzle the focaccia with olive oil and balsamic vinegar before baking.
- Mushroom, Caramelized Onion, and Asiago: Sauté mushrooms and onions in a bit of olive oil and butter until the mushrooms are browned and the onions are softened. Sprinkle Asiago cheese on top and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pesto, Cherry Tomatoes, and Goat Cheese: Spread a layer of pesto sauce over your focaccia. Scatter halved cherry tomatoes over the pesto sauce. For a creamier topping, add a dollop of goat cheese on top of the pesto sauce before baking.
- Roasted Vegetable Medley: Roast your favorite vegetables, such as bell peppers, zucchini, red onions, and mushrooms, until they are tender and slightly caramelized. Add a sprinkle of Parmesan or Asiago cheese to the roasted vegetables before baking.
Vegan Focaccia Topping Ideas
- Olive Tapenade: A combination of olives, capers, and olive oil, olive tapenade is a briny and savory topping that is perfect for focaccia.
- Roasted Garlic and Rosemary: Roasted garlic cloves and fresh rosemary create a fragrant and savory topping that will elevate your focaccia.
- Roasted Red Pepper and Chickpeas: Roasted red pepper strips and roasted chickpeas make a sweet and crunchy topping that is perfect for those who love a bit of texture in their food.
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Arugula: Use rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes or spread sun-dried tomato pesto and top with fresh arugula leaves.
- Artichoke Hearts and Roasted Garlic: Artichoke hearts and roasted garlic create a creamy and garlicky topping that is sure to please.
- Avocado and Red Pepper Flakes: Slice avocado and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Drizzle the avocado with olive oil and lemon juice.
Dessert Focaccia Topping Ideas
- Apple and Caramel Drizzle: Thinly sliced apples topped with a drizzle of caramel sauce for a timeless dessert combination.
- Chocolate Chips and Banana: Melt mini chocolate chips and banana slices in the oven at a low temperature. Remember to keep an eye on the bread; chocolate melts fast!
- Cinnamon Sugar– Give focaccia a cinnamon bun flavor with a combination of sugar and cinnamon. Although a cinnamon sugar focaccia can stand independently, you can top it with icing or caramel sauce reminiscent of our favorite shopping mall treat.
- Figs and Honey: Thinly slice figs and drizzle honey on top. For vegan honey, try making your own with apple juice!
- Pears and Apples: Suppose you want a tart, tangy, sweet flavor; top focaccia bread with apples and pears. Drizzle reduced balsamic glaze on top for extra sweetness!
- Strawberries and Nutella: Make focaccia decadent by spreading a thin layer on top of the focaccia. Take it to the next level by sprinkling fresh strawberries on top!